When using WooCommerce Payments, you have two options to sell subscription products:
It may make sense to move your store from using the WooCommerce Subscriptions extension to subscriptions built-in to WooCommerce Payments if your business:
- Only needs to accept recurring payments via WooCommerce Payments.
- Has very few existing, active subscriptions e.g. less than 20.
- Insufficient recurring revenue to justify the fixed annual cost of the WooCommerce Subscriptions extension.
- Does not need any of the advanced features in the extension.
To move to using subscriptions with WooCommerce Payments:
- Install WooCommerce Payments, if it’s not already installed
- Complete the onboarding for WooCommerce Payments, if your store does not already have a WooCommerce Payments account
- Deactivate the WooCommerce Subscriptions extension
After deactivating the WooCommerce Subscriptions extension, you will continue to be able to manage your existing subscriptions via the same WooCommerce > Subscriptions administration dashboard; however, your store’s existing subscriptions will transition to use manual renewals.
When the next renewal payment for an existing subscription becomes due, a copy of the order will be emailed to the customer prompting them to login and complete payment for the renewal. After the customer completes checkout to pay for the renewal, the subscription will use the provided payment to process future renewal payments automatically.