Because WooCommerce Payments accounts contain information that we must retain for tax and compliance purposes, they can only be deleted in a limited set of circumstances.
Additionally, WooCommerce Payments accounts can only be deleted by our support staff. There is no self-serve method to delete your account. Deactivating and deleting the WooCommerce Payments plugin will not delete the account itself.
Accounts can only be deleted if all of the following apply:
- The account has not processed any live transactions.
- The account status is not Rejected.
- The account does not have deposits suspended.
Even if your account cannot be deleted, you can still stop using it for new orders.
If your account meets all of the above requirements and you wish to delete it, please contact support to do so. Please include your site’s URL and the email address associated with your account in your message so that we can more easily find it in our systems.
After we receive your request, we’ll review the account and confirm that it’s eligible for deletion. We will ask for your approval one last time, and if you give it, delete the account.
Once an account is deleted, it is not recoverable.
If your account does not qualify for deletion, you can still stop using it whenever you want. To do so, follow the steps below, although you may wish to set up a different payment gateway first to avoid disrupting your customers’ ability to check out.
- In your site’s dashboard, go to Payments > Settings.
- Uncheck the “Enable WooCommerce Payments” box.
- Scroll to the bottom and click Save Changes.
- If you use the built-in subscriptions features to sell subscription products, your existing subscribers will continue to renew using WooCommerce Payments. You will likely want to find those customers (under WooCommerce > Subscriptions) and transition them to a new payment method so that WooCommerce Payments is no longer used for those.
After the above steps are complete, your WooCommerce Payments account will still exist, but will not be in use on your site. You will still be able to use WooCommerce Payments to issue refunds, respond to disputes, view transaction data, and so on.
Yes. If the account qualifies for deletion, then the email address associated with that account will be “freed up” once the original account is deleted.