With WooPayments, there are potentially two ways to sell subscription products:
See this document for a comparison between the two options, as well as information on why the Stripe Billing feature might not be available for you.
It may make sense to migrate your subscriptions from the Woo Subscriptions extension to the WooPayments Stripe Billing feature in some cases. Those apply if:
- You have few existing or active subscriptions, e.g. less than 20.
- You don’t make enough money to justify the annual cost of Woo Subscriptions.
- You do not need the advanced features of the Woo Subscriptions extension.
To migrate from the Woo Subscriptions extension to WooPayments’ Stripe Billing feature, follow these steps:
- Install, activate, and sign up for WooPayments.
- In the WooPayments settings, enable the Stripe Billing feature.
- Deactivate the Woo Subscriptions extension.
After deactivating the Woo Subscriptions extension, your store’s existing subscriptions will transition to using manual renewals. When the next renewal payment for an existing subscription comes due, an invoice will be emailed to the customer prompting them to log in and complete payment. Once they pay for the renewal using WooPayments, the subscription will resume automatic payments using the payment method that the customer provided.
You can manage existing subscriptions under the WooCommerce > Subscriptions page in the dashboard, just as you did with the Woo Subscriptions extension.