So, you want to start a site selling your educational material and you want to earn recurring revenue? Well, you’ve come to the right place! All you need to do is use our learning plugin, Sensei, with WooCommerce and the Subscriptions extension and you are on your way to selling Courses!
What you will need to build your site are the following tools:
- A hosted WordPress powered website (not WordPress.com)
- The Definition theme
- Sensei Plugin
- WooCommerce Plugin
- Subscriptions for WooCommerce extension
- An optional payment gateway extension for WooCommerce, but we will use paypal in this example as it comes standard with WooCommerce!
- An active Paypal account setup in order to take payments.
- Make sure WordPress is installed and configured.
- Activate the Definition theme and make your customizations to the theme in the Theme Options panel.
- Activate the Sensei plugin and configure its settings.
- Activate the WooCommerce plugin and configure its settings. Make sure that you have also configured the WooCommerce settings inside Sensei’s setting panel.
- If you haven’t already created any content, you can get started creating your Courses and Lessons using this guide.
- Once you have completed all of the above setup, you would need to add your Paypal email address to the WooCommerce payment gateway settings page.
- Next activate the Subscriptions for WooCommerce extension.
- You will now need to setup the Paypal IPN details using this guide and add your IPN details to the Paypal configuration screen in step 2.
- You then need to create a new Subscription product, there are 2 kinds of subscription products that you can create:
- Simple Subscriptions
- Variable Subscription
- If you want multiple options for a Subscription, you can create an attribute in a Variable Subscription product, and then add variations based on the attribute (Please note: this is not a multi-tiered option, Premium users do not get Gold and Premium access, and Gold users do not get Gold and Premium access). UPDATE: For a multi-tiered solution, please see this post.
- It’s important to note that the Subscription product should be set to “Virtual” as well for Simple subscriptions.
- Assign the Subscription product, or variation, to the Course you are going to sell using this guide – remember, Subscriptions are just another type of WooCommerce product, that way you don’t have to worry about loads of customizations!
- And that’s it! Your learners can now enjoy the course while you earn recurring revenue 😉
Something we haven’t mentioned before is that Sensei has seen a major update in the last 2 versions (1.2.0 and 1.2.1) including….
* A vastly improved Analysis area allowing for drill down reporting on each Course, Lesson, AND per student! And on top of that, you can export the data to CSV.
* Cleaner template files with more hooks for easier customization.
* We’ve completed an internal security audit of the code.
* Last but not least, due to popular demand, we’ve added improved support for our flagship Canvas theme!