Save $200 and book your WooConf ticket before June 30th!

WooConf takes place October 19-20 in Seattle, Washington.

Apple Pay is now available for WooCommerce

Written by Marina Pape on March 16, 2017 Blog, Taking payments.

WooCommerce has an ideas board, perhaps you’ve seen it – and today we’re pleased to announce that one of the most requested ideas to date is here.

Apple Pay is now available for WooCommerce stores accepting payments with Stripe. Once a store activates Apple Pay, customers will have a much faster and easier way to pay that is shown to boost conversions. Now that’s something!

We’re also proud to be the first open source platform to integrate with Apple Pay. Open source is the default for us, but it’s exciting to continue that level of openness with such an important payment solution.

Read on for more about Apple Pay for WooCommerce, how to activate it, and why it exactly as awesome as you may already suspect.

Apple Pay for WooCommerce: launching first with Stripe Payments

Apple Pay for WooCommerce requires a payment gateway to power it, and to start we are launching with one of our trusted partners, Stripe Payments.

In the future, we look forward to releasing Apple Pay for WooCommerce with other payments providers, which will avail it to a broader segment of users. As of today however, it’s available to WooCommerce stores running the latest version of the Stripe extension.

Today’s announcement is therefore largely for store developers and folks selling with WooCommerce in a total of 10 countries: Australia, Canada, Switzerland, Spain, United Kingdom, France, Hong Kong, New Zealand, Singapore, and the United States. These are the countries that Stripe for Apple Pay serves.

If you’re not in one of these countries, we feel your sadness. But not to worry: we have other payment partners on deck and plan to release more options in the near future. To stay tuned specifically about Apple Pay for WooCommerce, sign up to this list and we’ll let you know as we roll out support into additional locations.

How to use Apple Pay with WooCommerce

If you are already accepting payments with Stripe in your WooCommerce store, you’ll be able to activate Apple Pay simply by updating your Stripe for WooCommerce extension. Doing so will switch it on for you in one neat click.

If you haven’t yet added Stripe for WooCommerce to your store, get the extension for free and you’ll be able to have Apple Pay set up and displaying in minutes.

Once Stripe is up to date, you’ll find the proper settings via the Settings > Payments tab. You’ll have the option to change the button color and language (default EN).

In the same area you’ll see a notification about domain verification. There are some baked in smarts that the extension does on your behalf, which circumvents the need for any additional running around here. Unless it shows up with an error — which would be due to a failed API call — you can safely ignore this bit. But if you’re interested in the domain verification piece, read this.

Device compatibility and touch payments on the go

Shopping on websites accepting Apple Pay is as simple as the touch of a finger with Touch ID. It removes the need to manually fill out lengthy account forms or repeatedly type in shipping and billing information.

Mobile payments made easier, thanks to stored shipping information and the simplicity of touch.

When paying for goods and services on the go in apps or Safari, Apple Pay works with iPhone 6 and later, iPhone SE, iPad Pro, iPad Air 2, and iPad mini 3 and later.

You can also use Apple Pay in Safari on any Mac introduced in or after 2012 running macOS Sierra, and confirm the payment with iPhone 6 or later, Apple Watch, or even with Touch ID on the new MacBook Pro.

A few more things to know

We know security’s a big concern for you, and security and privacy is at the core of Apple Pay. When you use a credit or debit card with Apple Pay, the actual card numbers are not stored on the device, nor on Apple’s servers. Instead, a unique Device Account Number is assigned, encrypted, and securely stored in the Secure Element on the user’s device. Each transaction is authorized with a one-time unique dynamic security code.

Another common concern is checkout clutter, especially on mobile. Not to worry: Apple Pay will only show as an option to eligible customers.

Built into the extension is the intelligence to detect when someone has Apple Pay activated (and even if they already have a card stored). This way you can rest assured there will never be a situation where someone sees the “Buy with Apple Pay” button or messaging if they wouldn’t want to.

Only customers who can use Apple Pay will see the option at checkout.

Speaking of payments, other WooCommerce payment methods you’ve added will remain alongside Apple Pay. Apple Pay will be shown during the checkout process, but the regular options will, too, so shoppers will be able to choose what suits them best.

Still have questions? Get more information on Apple Pay.

We look forward to your feedback

Now that we’ve rolled out this first integration with Stripe, we look forward to hearing your feedback on the ideas board, through tickets, or wherever you reach out to us.

Once you’ve gone ahead and set Apple Pay up in your store, circle back and let us know in the comments how your customers respond. We’re eager to hear from you!

44 Responses

1. Jimi
    March 16, 2017 at 7:24 pm #

Very Cool!

Any Ideas on how this will work with WC subscriptions?

March 16, 2017 at 8:41 pm #

Solid question Jimi, we’ve answered it here in the documentation: https://docs.woocommerce.com/document/stripe/#section-10

At the moment Apple Pay isn’t available for subscription-based payments, so the “Buy with Apple Pay” icon will be hidden if your customer is purchasing a subscription on your WooCommerce store.

2. Alex
    March 16, 2017 at 7:29 pm #

Hello,
    I don’t think so, I tried to integrate it to the website still it’s not working, the button is not there.
    Anyone else has the same problem?
    Please let me know

Regards
    Alex

March 16, 2017 at 8:40 pm #

Hi Alex,

Be sure you’ve updated to the most recent version of Stripe, that is what will allow you to see the Apple Pay options.

If you’re still not seeing it there please do get in touch with support by opening a ticket and we’ll have a look: https://woocommerce.com/my-account/tickets/

Thanks!

3. Michael Robinson
    March 16, 2017 at 10:19 pm #

I’m having the same problems as Alex, i’m sure I have everything correct but the button isn’t showing up

March 17, 2017 at 12:43 am #

Hey Michael,

Just for clarification, are you referring to the “Buy with Apple Pay” button that appears on your store or the option to toggle on and off Apple Pay in the Stripe extension settings?

If you’re referring to the former, the best thing to do is to contact our support team with your details and they can troubleshoot why it’s not working for you. The blog unfortunately isn’t the best place to figure these things out. 🙂

Cheers!

• Michael Robinson
        March 17, 2017 at 1:59 pm #

Yes, the buy with apple pay doesnt show up in my store, but the code shows up in my page source. Also my site is verified to use apple pay

4. songy
    March 17, 2017 at 2:38 am #

I’ve updated two websites in order to use Apple Pay but both websites returned an error (after updating the Stripe plugin successfully) saying Apple Pay “Domain verification failed”.

Any advice on how to resolve this issue?

5. Javier
    March 17, 2017 at 2:50 am #

Hi, I have integrated the latest version, all set up, apple pay active, domain informed in stripe, all green, … the “Buy with Apple Pay” button does apear BUT nothing go through. (I am using a iphone 7 to test it)
    I have submitted a ticket to support, waiting for reply.
    Thanks!

• Roger
      March 17, 2017 at 9:00 am #

Me too. The same as your situation. Anyone know how to solve it?

March 17, 2017 at 6:11 pm #

Some prerequisites you can check on quickly here: https://stripe.com/docs/apple-pay/web Be sure you have a card stored in your Wallet, plus are using the appropriate device/browser.

If the button is appearing but the payment won’t complete, this sounds like a situation our support team should be looking at, so please open a ticket with us if your problems persist.

Thanks for bearing with us 🙂

6. imaad
    March 17, 2017 at 10:13 am #

Will Apple Pay only work if you have enabled guest checkout? or will it work if you require a user account to be created in woocommerce?

thanks

March 17, 2017 at 6:06 pm #

Howdy,

This is pretty much dependent on your store’s settings. 🙂 So if you have guest checkout enabled for your store, guests will be able to use it.

Apple Pay’s saved billing information, one touch payments, etc. is completely separate from your store — the information is stored securely with Stripe — so it shouldn’t have any real impact on your checkout flow. Other than boosting purchases, that is. 😉

Hope that helps!

7. Jackson
    March 17, 2017 at 1:49 pm #

Hi all, i had similar issues but managed to get it to work by adding my domain in Stripe dashboard, and then going back into Woocommerce Stripe setting and press save. Didn’t have to place the apple-developer-merchantid-domain-association file because it was done automatically by the Stripe plugin. Hope this helps.

8. vusbox@gmail.com
    March 17, 2017 at 4:33 pm #

I can’t get it to work either…

• Taylor
      March 17, 2017 at 5:50 pm #

Same here!

I have verified the domain with Stripe and still no Apple Pay button appearing on my phone or on the site.

March 17, 2017 at 6:09 pm #

Hey Taylor, sorry to hear you’re having issues here. There’s a list of prerequisites you can refer to here: https://stripe.com/docs/apple-pay/web If you don’t have a Wallet set up, that might be why the button isn’t showing, we’ve seen that already in some tickets 🙂

If you continue having issues please do open a ticket with us and our payments team will do a deeper dive in to see what’s going on.

9. Grady
    March 17, 2017 at 5:49 pm #

I was having trouble getting the domain to verify with Apple Pay. It turned out I had to make a rule in my WAF on Stackpath to allow access to the file I had uploaded. It was blocking access to it. After that, verification went right through. I followed the manual steps in my Stripe account 🙂

10. Patrick Rauland
    March 17, 2017 at 6:05 pm #

There was an issue with Apple Pay & Let’s Encrypt. But thanks to the quick work of Roy Ho it’s been resolved.

Make sure you update to the latest version (3.1.2).

March 17, 2017 at 6:13 pm #

Thanks for spotting this Patrick, I hadn’t seen it yet 🙂 This applies to the folks who might be having issues with domain verification.

11. Laurie
    March 18, 2017 at 9:14 pm #

Great news! Expecting to be implemented in other platforms too!

12. seahag
    March 19, 2017 at 10:37 am #

You need to make the ‘Only customers who can use Apple Pay will see the option at checkout.’ more prominent so dummies like me don’t keep on trying to fix a non existent problem. I raised support tickets with Woo & Stripe & Apple to get to the bottom of why I could not see the option in my checkout!!! Of course I can’t see it I don’t have ApplePay!!!
    There should be some message or notification or a ‘placeholder’ image for us admins so that we know it has been successfully integrated and is working!

13. seahag
    March 19, 2017 at 11:01 am #

AND! Also on the checkout payment options why don’t we see the option for ApplePay next to the icons for MasterCard, Visa, AMEX etc etc … it would be logical to have that there too?

14. seahag
    March 20, 2017 at 5:06 am #

OK, so now Apple are saying I must pay for this service. They say:

Hello Melinda,

Thank you for contacting Apple Developer Program Support regarding access to your certificates.

I have reviewed your account and found that you do not have an active Apple Developer Program. The Apple Developer Program will give you access to the Certificates, Identifiers and Profile portal.

Please continue your enrollment and you’ll have access to your certificates once it is complete.

Well sorry but I am not paying Apple a cent to have ApplePay as an option. They should be paying me. I also thisnk that If Woo are offering this then it should be made clear that this is not a free service.

March 20, 2017 at 7:18 am #

Hey there,

Sorry to hear there’s been some confusion here! I’ll see if I can help clear some things up.

To use Apple Pay with your WooCommerce store, you’ll want to use the Stripe payment gateway – Apple Pay is offered as a service through Stripe.

The Stripe extension itself is free: https://woocommerce.com/products/stripe/

Stripe meanwhile has fees that you would pay to use the gateway, which you can see here: https://stripe.com/us/pricing

There are no additional charges from either Stripe nor WooCommerce to enable Apple Pay on your store. So to be clear, the only payments you’ll need to make to get Apple Pay working would be to Stripe to process your payments, if you’re not already using it as your payment gateway.

I recommend following the steps here to get Stripe running: https://docs.woocommerce.com/document/stripe/#section-2 Enabling Apple Pay occurs in step 10.

If you run into any further issues, please consider opening a ticket with us: https://www.woocommerce.com/my-account/tickets/ That way our support team can find out exactly what’s going on with your store, how far you’ve gotten in the setup, etc.

I hope that helps, and apologies again for the confusion!

15. Michael
    March 21, 2017 at 2:46 am #

Will there be an option to have the apple pay button on the product page. At the very least the cart page. It only shows on the checkout page. It would be a faster user experience if those two options were available.

16. ChickC
    March 21, 2017 at 3:37 am #

I have a client that will be selling gift cards online through WooCommerce. Setting up Paypal or Stripe is of course no big deal for the buyer to purchase a card. After subtracting the selling fees related, can there be a way to transfer the balance to Apple Pay? Thanks.

• ChickC
      March 21, 2017 at 4:01 am #

Or Apple Wallet is what I may have meant.

17. caseyfriday
    March 21, 2017 at 5:18 pm #

This is awesome! Very happy to hear about this – making WooCommerce better with every release!

March 24, 2017 at 4:00 am #

Thanks so much for your kind words 😀

18. Markham
    March 23, 2017 at 3:56 am #

While I am glad to see there is some progress integrating Apple Pay to Woocommerce, I cant believe nobody else has mentioned the fact that this whole integration is tethered to the requirement that you use Stripe! Since we do not use Stripe, this will not help us. I hope Apple Pay becomes available on other merchant accounts/gateways soon.

March 24, 2017 at 3:59 am #

Yep, we’re looking at ways to expand, Markham — keep your eyes peeled.

Stripe already had an integration with Apple Pay ready, so this was the best way for us to answer the many requests we had for the Apple Pay functionality. 🙂

19. Tom Little
    March 23, 2017 at 3:08 pm #

WoW! It’s a great news for me.I will add this payment method on my site.is it possible to use this feature on joomla site? I hope this time,I will get more sale.thanks for the post

March 24, 2017 at 3:57 am #

Just WooCommerce for now 🙂

20. bolilesexuale
    March 26, 2017 at 9:44 pm #

Apple Pay will be one of the important mobile payment platforms in a couple of years. Is a very good thing it’s implemented in early stages. Good job

21. Andreea
    March 26, 2017 at 9:47 pm #

Love to see new payment options to be implemented in the mighty Woo. I use on a couple of sites and I’m really happy with the easy solution it provides.

22. Christopher Eller
    March 30, 2017 at 6:57 am #

Awesome.

Now PLEASE help us make the message go away from the WordPress back end!!!!!!

No matter how many times I click the (x) and close the message, it reappears on the site!

Screenshot:

23. Nick Patel
    March 31, 2017 at 1:40 pm #

This is a useful integration with the Stripe Payment Gateway plugin for your eCommerce store. And when it comes to security, we all know where Apple stands. Apple adoption has increased from 13.1% in June 2015 to 23.8% in June 2016 so it will be useful to wider audience now.

Thanks,
    Nick

24. Jordan
    April 3, 2017 at 12:12 am #

Hello,
    I have tried all day to get Apple Pay to show up on my Checkout. I have done the verification with the WP plugin, I have verified with Stripe. I have made sure all the checkboxes are enabled within WooCommerce and still no Apple Pay. I am really at a loss for my site and why this isn’t working for me. I’m pretty knowledgeable about front-end development and such, I am at a loss as to what is causing my Apple Pay to not work. I even reset my Apple Pay on my iPhone running 10.2 to verify. No luck. Can you provide any insight? Thank you! (nomadicusa.com)

April 4, 2017 at 4:22 pm #

Jordan, please open a ticket with us if you haven’t already, we aren’t able to provide effective troubleshooting via blog comments. Thanks!

WooCommerce - the most customizable eCommerce platform for building your online business.

%d bloggers like this: