Any store powered by WooCommerce and WordPress has two places where your data and content are stored. One is your wp-content folder, where your themes, plugins, and any uploaded content is located. Second is the database that organizes and stores your products, orders, posts, pages, etc.
So with your precious data and content stored in different places, how should you safeguard it and keep it backed up?
Automatic backups ↑ Back to top
The most efficient and reliable approach is to use an automated site backup service for which we recommend Jetpack. Besides not having to rely on memory and manual procedures, you instantly benefit from:
- Unlimited storage space.
- Automated, regular backups of your entire site including database, content, media, plugins, themes, and settings.
- Instant restore service so that if something goes wrong you revert to an older version with one click.
- Direct access to 24/7 expert support.
Manual backups ↑ Back to top
If you wanted to do things the hard way, there are two parts to backing up your site content manually.
- Go to Tools > Export – to export all of your site content. This contains all of your posts, pages, comments, etc. in a XML file.
- To back up your theme files and plugin files, log into your site via FTP to find your files in the
wp-contentfolder. We strongly recommend making a backup of your theme files if you made any customizations.
Learn more ↑ Back to top
We provide expert priority support for Jetpack customers but not third-party plugins.