WooCommerce Payments allows you to enable Google Pay on your site, which makes it easier for customers to checkout quickly. This document describes how to set up, test, and troubleshoot the Google Pay feature.
Enabling↑ Back to top
To enable Google Pay:
- Go to Payments > Settings in your site’s dashboard.
- In the Express Checkouts section, check the box for Apple Pay / Google Pay.
- At the bottom of the page, click Save Changes.
NOTE: There is no way to enable only Google Pay without also enabling Apple Pay. The two payment options must be enabled together.
Customizing↑ Back to top
When Google Pay is enabled, the button can appear in three places:
- The Checkout page
- The Cart page
- Individual product pages
You can customize which of these locations show the Google Pay button by going to Payments > Settings and then clicking the Customize link for Apple Pay / Google Pay in the Express Checkouts section.
Once there, you can change where the Google Pay button shows up, the text of the Google Pay button itself, as well as the size and color scheme of the button.
Purchasing↑ Back to top
By checking out with Google Pay, customers won’t need to go through the regular checkout process and spend time filling in all of their information. Everything is handled using the Google Pay interface, where customers can select their billing and shipping details, as well as which card they want to use.
Once the order is placed, WooCommerce Payments processes the transaction and redirects the customer to the “Order Received” / “Thank you” page just as it would for any other transaction.
Product compatibility↑ Back to top
The express checkout methods in WooCommerce Payments, including Google Pay, are compatible with all of these product types:
- Simple products
- Variable products
- Subscription products
- Variable subscriptions
- Bookable products1
- Pre-order products
1 For bookable products, the Google Pay button cannot be shown on the product page itself.
Testing↑ Back to top
To place test orders using Google Pay:
- Enable test mode, if it’s not already.
- Add a test card to your browser’s payment methods.
- In Chrome, this can be done at this URL:
- In Chrome, this can be done at this URL:
- Go to a product page, cart, or checkout and use the Google Pay button.
- Select the test card in the payment popup.
- Click Pay.
Your test order will be visible in the dashboard after it completes.
FAQ↑ Back to top
Can I authorize charges with Google Pay and capture later?↑ Back to top
Yes. If you have checked the “Issue an authorization on checkout, and capture later” option in Payments > Settings, you can manually capture authorized charges done with Google Pay, just like other credit card transactions.
Can I issue refunds for Google Pay orders?↑ Back to top
Yes, you can issue refunds for Google Pay transactions just like normal transactions.
Why do I see a purple “Pay now” button?↑ Back to top
There are two styles of buttons you might see depending on if you A) allow third-party cookies for the site you’re visiting, and B) have the “Share that you have Google Pay with companies outside Google” setting enabled in Google Pay itself.
If you have both enabled, the button is styled like this:
Otherwise, the button may be styled like this:
Is Google Pay available in my country?↑ Back to top
Google Pay is available for all countries supported by WooCommerce Payments.
Troubleshooting↑ Back to top
Before troubleshooting Google Pay, first ensure that you have Log Error Messages enabled under Payments > Settings > Advanced settings. This lets you see any error messages from WooCommerce Payments under WooCommerce > Status > Logs, which could potentially be useful if you need to contact our support staff.
Button doesn’t appear at all↑ Back to top
To ensure there isn’t a problem with your browser and device combination, try using the Google Pay button on another website. You can try Google’s demo page, for example.
If Google Pay does not appear there either, there likely isn’t an issue with WooCommerce Payments itself, bur rather something about your device or browser is not configured correctly.
If Google Pay does appear on that demo, but not on your WooCommerce Payments store, this can happen for several reasons. To try to remedy the issue, please make sure:
- The Apple Pay / Google Pay setting is enabled under Payments > Settings.
- Your site is not in Dev Mode.
- Your site is served over HTTPS.
- Your browser contains a payment method.
- You have the “Share that you have Google Pay with companies outside Google” setting enabled in the Google Pay settings.
- “Allow customers to place orders without an account” is enabled under WooCommerce > Settings > Accounts & Privacy, OR “Allow customers to create an account during checkout” and “When creating an account, send the new user a link to set their password” are enabled.
Button doesn’t appear in a specific location↑ Back to top
If the Google Pay button is missing from only some locations, but not others (e.g. it appears on the checkout page but not on the product page), this can happen for a few reasons:
- The product may not be compatible with express checkouts.
- Your theme may not support the necessary WooCommerce hooks, which are needed for Google Pay to show up.
Apple Pay appears instead↑ Back to top
If you were expecting Google Pay to appear on your mobile device, but see an Apple Pay button instead, this may be due to a recent change on Apple’s part.
In short, if you are running iOS 16 or later, Apple Pay can now be used in browsers other than Safari. As such, you might see Apple Pay appear in some places where Google Pay would’ve previously be shown. (For example, in the Chrome browser app on iOS.)
Unfortunately, there’s no way to revert to the old behavior.
Other issues↑ Back to top
If you experience any other issues with Google Pay, please take the following steps:
- Enable test mode and logging under Payments > Settings > Advanced settings.
- Place a test Google Pay transaction.
- Under WooCommerce > Status > Logs, review the WooCommerce Payments logs.
- If you see any errors, please get in touch with support and provide the logs for review.