Tap to Pay on iPhone is supported for merchants in the United States with the following device requirements:
- iPhone XS or newer.
- iOS 16.0 or above.
- The NFC (near field communication) chip must not be disabled.
- The device must be signed in to an iCloud account.
- The device must have a passcode set.
- Make sure you have WooCommerce and WooPayments installed and activated on your store.
- Download the WooCommerce Mobile App for iOS. If you already have the app installed, ensure that it has been updated to the latest version.
- Follow the instructions to register and/or log in.
When viewing the details of an unpaid order, tap on the “Collect Payment” button, then tap on “Card”.
You will be given the option to collect the payment using Tap to Pay on iPhone or a Bluetooth Reader.
After selecting “Tap to Pay on iPhone”, since this is the first time using the feature, the app will check that your device is ready to use Tap to Pay on iPhone and display a prompt to accept the terms and conditions.
You will have the option to continue with your device’s Apple ID or another Apple ID. The Apple ID you use will be associated with a merchant account for merchant account management and fraud prevention and compliance purposes through Apple.
You can unlink your Apple ID from a merchant account by contacting Apple Support or using the instructions that are sent by email after setup.
NOTE: Tap to Pay on iPhone can only collect payment in USD. If the customer uses a different currency, Tap to Pay on iPhone will not be available to collect payment.
Tap to Pay on iPhone can be used with orders created within the app or orders that were placed by customers on your site that have a status of “Pending Payment”. To collect the payment for an order:
- Navigate to the Orders tab and tap on the order you’d like to collect payment for.
- Tap on the “Collect Payment” button, then tap on “Card”.
- Select the “Tap to Pay on iPhone” option.
- The built-in reader will prepare to take the payment and then display the payment screen.
- The card or phone used as the payment method can be tapped on the area indicated.
- The app will process the payment and, once completed, adjust your inventory automatically.
Tap to Pay on iPhone can also be used to collect Simple Payments for a quick transaction. This option can be found by navigating to the Orders tab in the Mobile App, click on the ‘+’ sign, and select ‘Simple payment’.
You can then enter the amount to collect, add an optional note about the transaction, and toggle the tax collection on or off, as needed. Then collect the payment using Tap to Pay on iPhone. This method of payment collection will not adjust your inventory.