With Progressive Discounts, you can offer discounts based on the number of cart items or the cart subtotal amount. These promotions can be applied storewide or for only a set of products and product categories.
Additionally, further customize many aspects such as discount type (percent or fixed), whether the discount can be combined with other coupons or not, when the discount is active, the promotion name, as well as the store notice that is displayed to your customers, etc.
- WooCommerce 3.7+
- WordPress 4.9+
- Download the .zip file from your WooCommerce account.
- Go to “WordPress Admin > Plugins > Add New” and “Upload Plugin” with the file you downloaded with “Choose File”.
- Install Now and Activate the extension.
More information at Installing and Managing Plugins.
Setup and Configuration
To function, Progressive Discounts requires that the WooCommerce coupons system is enabled. To enable, go to WooCommerce > Settings > General and select the “Enable coupons” setting.
Create and manage your promotions within the Progressive Discounts settings which can be found under WooCommerce > Progressive Discounts.
Create a progressive discount
To create a new progressive discount, go to Progressive Discounts settings. Click the Add discount button or click the “Create a progressive discount” button if creating a discount for the first time.
Name your discount
When creating a progressive discount, you will need to fill in the following fields:
- Reference name: A discount name for internal use only.
- Public name: The name of the discount that your customer will see in your storefront and in the order details.
Note: Both settings are required and can be edited later.
Next, set the discount type that will be applied and the condition that will trigger it. These two settings are the most important and can’t be changed later. The options are:
- Discount type: A percentage or fixed discount.
- Triggered by: The discount will be applied when a minimum number of items is reached in the cart or a cart subtotal amount.
The Discount Steps setting allows you to create discounts at different increments, allowing for increasingly more progressive discounts as more items are placed in the cart or as the subtotal grows.
First, you will have to define this in the discount step table. For each discount step, set the minimum and maximum values that will trigger this step and will apply the discount amount.
In the below example, discount steps were defined based on the cart units and applied a percentage discount when triggered.
You can define as many steps as you want, just take into account the following:
- There must always be at least one step in the table.
- The minimum and maximum values are inclusive.
- The steps are not sortable so be sure you define the ranges in ascending order.
- If you leave the maximum value empty in the last step, this step will have no maximum limit for applying the discount.
- Only the last step allows an empty value in the maximum field.
Notify your customers about an active promotion by adding a site-wide banner to your store. Just fill in the text field with a short description.
The store notice will look like this:
Note: The final look and feel may vary depending on the styles of your active theme.
The promotion can be applied storewide or only for a set of products and product categories. This section helps you to configure this and supports the following scenarios:
- Include all products and product categories.
- Include/exclude specific product categories and subcategories.
- Include/exclude specific products.
- Choose whether to exclude products that are on sale.
Choose when the promotion will be available. Once activated, it can always be available or only during a specific date-time range. This will allow you to do promotions like Christmas or Black Fridays.
Note: Remember the progressive discount must be active in order to apply the promotion to the cart.
Compatibility with coupons
The Enable coupon compatibility option is really helpful to configure if the progressive discount can be combined with other promotions (coupons) or not.
If this option is not enabled, when a customer applies a coupon to the cart, the progressive discount will be automatically removed from the cart. If the previously applied coupon is removed, the progressive discount will be applied.
Save and activate
The final step is to submit the form and save the changes. Additionally, choose from the following:
- Save and activate: If there is another promotion active, it will pause it.
- Save and pause: The promotion will be inactive until activated or remain paused if already was selected.
Progressive discount list
On the progressive discounts page, you can see all the progressive discounts that you have created and easily manage the discounts:
- Activate/pause: Update the progressive discount status.
- Delete: Delete your progressive discount.
- Stats: Display a popup with the progressive discount stats.
Note: There can only be one active progressive discount. When activating a promotion and if there is another promotion active, the previous one will be paused.
Each progressive discount has its own stats. Click on the “Stats” icon to see how your promotion is working.
The table gives you an overview of the number of orders placed, the discounted amount, the gross sales, and the net sales for each different discount step as well as the combined total of all discounts.
Applying a progressive discount
Once a progressive discount is active, this will be automatically applied (or removed) to the cart based on whether the cart/customer meets the promotion conditions.
Additionally, your customers will know that a promotion is active in different ways:
- With a site-wide store notice containing a short description of the promotion.
- By adding products to the cart and reaching a step of your promotion.
If the customer updates the cart causing the discount conditions don’t apply, another notice will be displayed.
These notices incentive your customers to add more items to their carts in order to get a larger discount.
Cart & Checkout
After a progressive discount is applied to the cart, a discount row will be displayed in the cart and in checkout details.
Once the order has been placed, the progressive discount is reflected in the Order balance and the Total row.
Of course, the progressive discount also appears when editing an order:
If you are using an invoicing plugin like WooCommerce Print Invoices & Packing lists, Progressive Discounts is compatible with this plugin and the discounts applied will also appear in the generated invoices.
Can I have more than one active promotion at the same time?
No. You can only have one active promotion at a time, but you can create as many as you want.
My promotions are not activating at the scheduled time
Make sure you have your WordPress time zone correctly set with your local time.
Go to Admin Dashboard > Settings > Timezone.
Questions and Feedback
Have a question before you buy it? Please fill out this pre-sales form.
Already purchased and need some assistance? Get in touch with the Developer via the Help Desk.