The WooCommerce Paytrail plugin (formerly Suomen Verkkomaksut) extends WooCommerce allowing you to take payments via Paytrail payment portal. You need to register for a contract with Paytrail to use this plugin.
- If you are a new customer, please use their new Paytrail for WooCommerce plugin.
- If you are an existing WooCommerce Paytrail customer, you must request account credentials for Paytrail’s new service to process payments with their new plugin. Then update your plugin and follow the migration instructions. Click here for details about the migration process. We recommend migrating as soon as possible to avoid payment disruptions when they wind down their old service.
- Download the extension from your WooCommerce dashboard
- Go to Plugins > Add New > Upload and select the ZIP file you just downloaded
- Click Install Now, and then Activate
- Go to WooCommerce > Settings > Payments > Paytrail and read the next section to learn how to setup and configure the plugin.
First, you must log in to your Paytrail account and copy your Merchant ID and Merchant Secret / Password. These are necessary to link your Paytrail account to this plugin. You’ll save this information on the plugin settings page.
You can test the plugin with test credentials from one of the following locations:
More information on testing is available from Paytrail.
You can configure the plugin from WooCommerce > Settings > Payments > Paytrail.
- Enable / Disable – This will enable the gateway to be used by customers to checkout.
- Title – This is the text shown for the payment during checkout and on the Order Received page.
- Description – This is the text shown under the title during checkout. Limited HTML is allowed. If you enable test mode, this section will also display a notice.
- Debug Log – Enable this to log Paytrail events to the error log — you can show logged responses on checkout, save them to the System Status log, or both. As a best practice and to maximize performance, please only enable this if you are experiencing issues with the plugin.
- Merchant ID – This is the ID assigned to you by Paytrail and can be found by logging in to your Paytrail Account.
- Merchant Secret – Enter the Paytrail Merchant Secret password from your Paytrail Account.
- Use extended info – Enable this option to send extended user info to Paytrail instead of just sending the amount for payment.
- Language – Set the language to use for the pay page (Finnish, English, or Swedish).
To checkout using Paytrail, a customer must select this option on the checkout page:
When Paytrail is selected, the customer will be redirected to Paytrail and given a list of available checkout methods to select from:
Once the customer selects a payment method, the customer is directed to the bank / payment processors website to complete the purchase. After the needed information (such as PINs or passwords) has been entered, the payment will be processed and customers can be redirected to your website.
Having trouble? Follow these steps to make sure everything is setup correctly before posting a support request:
- Check that your Merchant ID and Merchant Secret are correct.
- Double-check that your Merchant ID and Merchant Secret are correct 😉
- Enable the debug log, and activate only WooCommerce and Paytrail using a WordPress default theme to see if the issue persists.
- Submit a support ticket and provide the debug log as an attachment.
Q: WooCommerce 2.2 added the ability to process automatic refunds. Does this gateway support automatic refunds?
A: Unfortunately automatic refunds are not possible with Paytrail. We are following the developer documentation for updates and will add this to the roadmap if it becomes possible in the future.
Have a question before you buy? Please fill out this pre-sales form.
Already purchased and need some assistance? Get in touch with support via the help desk.