If you’re looking to move your store to WooCommerce Payments from Stripe, you can use this migration guide to start using WooCommerce Payments on your WooCommerce store.
Note: This guide covers migration from Stripe to WooCommerce Payments for sites that don’t currently process subscriptions with Stripe, and that don’t have saved customer payment information in Stripe. For notes on migrating if you do process subscriptions with Stripe, please see the last section of this document.
Step 1: Install and Activate WooCommerce Payments ↑ Back to top
To install and set up WooCommerce Payments, follow the installation guide here.
To learn more about installing plugins from a Zip file, see Installing and Managing Plugins.
Step 2: Enable WooCommerce Payments Method and Disable Stripe Payment Method ↑ Back to top
Now that your site can accept credit and debit card payments through the WooCommerce Payments extension, you can disable the Stripe Payment Method.
(NOTE: if your site is currently using Stripe to process subscriptions, please read the appendix at the end of this document before completing this step.)
- Navigate to the Settings page at WooCommerce > Settings.
- Go to the Payments tab, and scroll down to the Stripe payment method.
- Click the purple ‘Enabled’ switch to disable Stripe.
- Click the ‘Enabled’ switch next to the WooCommerce Payments method to enable it.
- Click the ‘Set up’ button to the right of the WooCommerce Payments method.
- Fill in all verification form fields. Once you have completed the verification with Stripe, your site will be ready to accept credit and debit card payments onsite.
- Confirm that Account Status shows ‘Complete’ and Payments: Enabled.
- That’s it! You can now accept payments with WooCommerce Payments in your checkout.
Migrating to WooCommerce Payments with active subscriptions on Stripe ↑ Back to top
As long as the WooCommerce Stripe Gateway plugin is still active on your site, customers with recurring payments for subscriptions will continue to be charged as normal. The plugin should remain active even when you disable the Stripe Payment Method.
New subscriptions will be processed with the WooCommerce Payments method.
If you would like to process subscription payments with WooCommerce Payments, you will need to edit the payment method in the subscription itself.
- Navigate to Subscriptions and find the subscription you would like to change the payment method for.
- Click the subscription’s number in the ‘Subscription’ column to edit the subscription.
- Click the pencil icon in the ‘Billing’ section.
- Click the drop-down under ‘Payment Method:’ and select ‘Credit Card’, which indicates WooCommerce Payments. Under ‘Saved Payment Method’, select the appropriate saved card for your customer.
- Click ‘Update’ in the upper right ‘Subscription Actions’ section, and you’re done!
- If there is no saved card associated with the customer, changing ‘Payment Method’ to ‘Credit Card’ will not allow the subscription to continue to be charged as normal! The next subscription payment will fail, and the customer should get an email notifying them that they need to come to your site and pay for the subscription.
- If you have large numbers of subscriptions you’d like to migrate to WooCommerce payments, please contact customer support for help with the batch migration process.