WooCommerce PostNL is a premium shipping method that calculates worldwide and Netherlands (NL) domestic shipping for customer orders, using their rates. This plugin uses PostNL prices and services for 2018.
- Download the .zip file from your WooCommerce account.
- Go to: WordPress Admin > Plugins > Add New and Upload Plugin with the file you downloaded with Choose File.
- Install Now and Activate the extension.
More information at: Install and Activate Plugins/Extensions.
- Go to: WooCommerce > Settings > Shipping.
- Select the Shipping Zone you want to add the method to, and click the Add shipping method + button on the right.
- Select PostNL from the dropdown and click Add shipping method:
- Select the shipping method you wish to configure from the shipping zone (PostNL in this case).
- Configure the settings:
- Enable/Disable– Choose whether to enable the shipping method or not.
- Method Title – Name the shipping method. This will be visibile by customers.
- Method Availability – This setting lets you narrow down the countries which can get quotes. Leave set to All Countries to have it available for all customers.
- Debug Mode – Enable debug mode to show debugging information on your cart/checkout.
- Rates and Services – These settings control the services and rates you offer customers.
- Parcel Packing Method – See below.
- Offer Rates – Choose to return all rates (user will get the choice) or just return a single rate.
- Services – Here you can rename, and re-order, PostNL shipping rates.
- Save changes.
There are two packing methods with PostNL, and each affects the parcels you send:
- Per Item — Each physical item in your cart is sent individually. Quotes for all items are combined for the final cost.
- Pack into Boxes — Items are packed into pre-defined boxes and sent for a quote. We recommend this option. See Box-Packing below for more information on this.
The box packer included with this shipping method allows you group items into packages with height, width, length and max-weight provided by PostNL. The packing is mainly volume based, but also considers item size.
The packer does the following:
- Finds boxes which fit the items being packed (uses H x W x D).
- Packs all fitting items into boxes (using volume).
- The largest box which fits 100% of items is used *or* use the highest % packed box, and then pass unpacked items back (and repeat the process)
- Unpackable items are packed alone, using the item dimensions.
- All packed boxes are returned.
Customers can get quotes, after inputting their address, from two places:
- Cart page – using the shipping calculator
- Checkout page – filling in the shipping and billing forms
- Enable debug mode (WooCommerce > Settings > Shipping > PostNL) to see debugging information on the cart page. This will often reveal the problem.
- Check your products have sizes and weights set – without this the calculation cannot be performed.