Smart Coupons provide a powerful, “all-in-one” solution for gift cards, store credits, discount coupons, and vouchers extending the core functionality of WooCommerce coupons.
This doc article explains how you can create and sell gift cards/store credits of any amount to your customers and also schedule them.
The gift card/store credit functionality of Smart Coupons is different from how normal coupon codes work. Gift card is treated as real credit / money – very much like a prepaid credit card.
Gift cards does not introduce a dedicated product type. Instead, it allows you to use Simple or Variable product as a basis for selling gift cards.
Gift card products are Virtual. You can only use the extension to issue digital gift card tokens.
To allow customers to purchase a gift card/store credit of any amount/denomination/quantity of their choice, you need to first create a coupon and then a product.
- Go to your WordPress Admin panel > Marketing > Coupons > Add new coupon.
- Click on Generate coupon code or enter your own code.
Important: Coupon code should not have any spaces.
- Select ‘Store Credit / Gift Certificate’ as Discount type from the drop-down.
Important: Leave coupon amount blank.
- Enable ‘Coupon Value Same as Product’s Price?’ option.
- Publish the coupon.
- Add or edit an existing Simple product.
- Name the product, i.e., Store Credit/Gift Certificate.
- Important: Leave Regular price & Sale price fields blank.
- If you do not want to charge shipping for this product, mark the product as Virtual.
- Under ‘Coupons’, search for and select the coupon created in the above.
- Publish/Update the product.
Now your customers can purchase a store credit/gift card of any amount from your WooCommerce store.
Note: This feature is compatible with Name Your Price.
Important: If you have any coupon in your store, which can be used to buy this store credit/gift certificate, make sure to set ‘Usage limit per user’ under ‘Usage limits’ to 1. Otherwise, your customer will get real credit at a discounted rate for multiple times. It may result in the overall loss for your store.
- A customer visits the product page, which allows them to purchase credit in any amount.
- They enter the amount of credit they want to purchase.
- The quantity can be adjusted if they want to purchase more than one credit. For example, credit for $600 in the form of gifts of $300 each for two people. Customers would enter 300 in the provided box and increase the quantity to 2.
- They go through the normal purchase process: Add to cart > Cart > Checkout > Payment.
- On the checkout page, the customer will have two options to send the coupons.
- Send to me
- Gift to someone else
- Clicking on ‘Gift to someone else’ will give 2 options “Send to one” (default) and “Send to many”. This option will provide 2 fields: Email address of recipient & Message for the recipient.
- The customer might also get an option to schedule the sending of store credit/gift card to different people. Learn more about scheduling.
- The customer then makes the payment.
After the payment is completed, a credit is generated and forwarded via email to the recipient(s).
The sender is also informed by an acknowledgment email.