Smart Coupons provide a powerful, “all-in-one” solution for gift certificates, store credits, discount coupons, and vouchers extending the core functionality of WooCommerce coupons.
This doc article explains how you can sell gift cards of any amount.
This is one of the best features provided by the Smart Coupons plugin. It allows your customers to buy gift cards of any amount.
Gift card of any amount ↑ Back to top
The Store Credit functionality of Smart Coupons is different from how normal coupon codes work. Store Credit is treated as real credit/money – very much like a pre-paid credit card. As such, Store Credit codes cannot be excluded from the shipping costs or any other costs. So while the standard coupons can be restricted, store credit and gift certificates can not – the idea behind this being that someone paid for the store credit/gift certificate in advance.
Coupon setup ↑ Back to top
To allow customers to purchase a Store Credit/Gift Certificate in an amount/denomination/quantity of their choice:
- Go to: WooCommerce > Coupons.
- Create/add a new coupon.
- Give it a title, i.e., GenerateCalledStoreCredit. Important: Coupon code should not have any spaces between the name.
- Select Store Credit/Gift Certificate as Discount type. Important: Leave coupon amount blank.
- Enable Coupon Value Same as Product’s Price? option. This is the most important step.
- Enter Prefix/Suffix (optional) and other details as required.
Product setup ↑ Back to top
- Add or edit an existing Simple Product.
- Name the product, i.e., Store Credit/Gift Certificate.
- Important: Leave Regular Price & Sale Price fields blank.
- Important: If you do not want to charge shipping for this product, mark product as Virtual.
- Go to Coupons
- Search for and select coupon created in the above step, i.e., GenerateCalledStoreCredit.
Now your customer can purchase a Store Credit/Gift Card in any amount.
Important: If you have any coupon in your store, which can be used to buy this store credit/gift certificate, make sure to set ‘Usage limit per user’ under ‘Usage Limits’ to 1. Otherwise, your customer will get real credit at a discounted rate for multiple times, It may result in the overall loss for your store.
Examples ↑ Back to top
- A customer visits the product page, which allows them to purchase credit in any amount.
- They enter the amount of credit they want to purchase.
- The quantity can be adjusted, if they want to purchase more than one credit, for example, credit for $600 in the form of gifts of $300 each for 2 people. Customers would enter 300 in the provided box and increase the quantity to 2.
- They go through normal purchase process: Add to cart > Cart > Checkout > Payment.
- On the checkout page, the customer can enter the recipient’s details, if they want to forward the credit to someone else. (Note: Following screenshots are also showing cart discount of $20 because the cart also contains a product which will issue $20 cart discount)
- After payment is completed, a credit is generated and forwarded via email to the recipient(s).
- The sender is informed by an acknowledgment email.